Waste Affecting Wildlife – Part 1, BirdsApril 9, 2021
House Clearance – Rubbish Removal ChesterApril 24, 2021
Dealing with your fridge disposal is something that doesn’t have to be undertaken very often. Research shows that on average, a fridge is an appliance that a householder keeps for 11 years, although some fridges are kept much longer than that, some for even 20 years.
Every year approximately 4 million new fridges are bought in the UK. In 2018 approximately 2.5 million old fridges were disposed of at licensed recycling plants. Many substances used in the manufacture of fridges are toxic to the environment and need to be disposed of correctly, and there is legislation in place that is meant to enforce this. But unfortunately, there are up to a million old fridges that are dumped illegally, or fly tipped, releasing damaging gases into the environment.
Older fridges were backed with plastic that was highly inflammable, and if it caught fire, burnt quickly, and gave off a toxic gas. Older fridges contain CFC’s or HCFC’s in their insulation materials and their refrigerant. These manmade compounds are non-toxic and non-flammable, but it was discovered that the CFC molecules are broken down by ultraviolet radiation and release an atom that leads to a reduction in the ozone level of the atmosphere, causing ‘holes’ in the ozone layer. This adds to the warming of our planet with the resultant climate change. An international treaty called the Montreal Protocol was signed in 1987 to stop the production of ozone-depleting substances, specifically to protect the earth’s ozone layer.
Benefits of a New, Smart Fridge
Here are some of the benefits you can expect when you invest in a new fridge.
- A new fridge has many improvements on your old model, the most outstanding of these being energy savings which means savings on your power bill. Old fridges have the tendency to break down which is going to cost you in terms of food going rotten. Fridges and freezers are the appliances we tend to use the most as they need to be on 24 hours a day, every day, as such, they use a lot of electricity. Research has shown that they are responsible for about 7% of an average householder’s energy bill. If you take into account that modern fridges use up to 60% less energy than models sold before 2000, replacing an old model could make for some substantial savings. New models are being released every year, with their improved performance making them cheaper and more efficient to run.
- But energy efficiency isn’t the only benefits offered by the new smart fridges. Features of new models may include MultiAirflow Cooling, which improves the circulation of air around the fridge, regulating temperature and humidity levels. This ensures less condensation and food staying fresh for longer. Less food gets thrown away, and with an estimated 30% of all food we buy landing up in the bin, this means savings on food.
- Frost free is a feature of new models that remove the chore of defrosting the fridge from household tasks. Frost-free means that your fridge can run efficiently without the traditional build up of ice on your food and in the freezer interior. This means that you never have to defrost again.
- New fridges come with temperature control at the touch of a button. The colder you set the temperature, the harder the fridge has to work to maintain it, but new fridges are by default set at a level that offers optimal food storage and energy efficiency.
So once you have decided that the benefits of buying a new, smart fridge outweigh your old one, you cannot just dump your old one. You will have to decide which the best way is for your old fridge disposal. Here are some facts about fridge disposal.
- All householders disposing of waste, including fridges, need to take care that it is disposed of properly. In reality this means that you will need a licensed waste removal company to remove it, or it must be removed by your local authority. If your waste lands up being fly-tipped or dumped illegally, you can be held liable. Rubbish Removal Chester is a licensed waste management company who will dispose of your waste in a responsible manner.
- All fridges and freezers that contain ozone depleting substances such as CFC’s and HCFC’s need to have these gases removed in a controlled manner before the appliance is scrapped. This is required by law.
- Some household appliance stores will take your old appliance away when they deliver a new one, and they are obligated, along with anyone else who is involved with electrical equipment, to reuse, recycle and recover fridge units wherever possible.
- If your fridge cannot be reused, it will need to be disposed of at a refrigeration recycling plant. 95% of the substances used in fridge production are recyclable, and these are separated mechanically into product streams that include plastics, metals and foam that can be recycled and reused.
Why Use Rubbish Removal Chester?
- We are a fully licensed waste removal company with a valid waste carrier’s registration certificate. This means that we will dispose of all your waste at authorized sites in order for it to be recycled, reused, or as a last resort, placed in a landfill.
- You can rest assured that we will carry out your fridge disposal properly, with no possible come backs to you.
- We carry out your waste disposal neatly and quickly with minimal disruption to you. Our friendly and efficient team make sure that the site we cleaned up is clean, swept, with no trace of trash left behind.
- Being a local waste company, we are as determined as you to keep our surroundings in Chester as beautiful as possible by keeping them litter-free.
- Once you have called us, we will arrange a time to collect. We confirm our arrival by calling you 15-30 minutes before we arrive to say we are on our way. If it is inconvenient for you, we can collect after hours, or even over a weekend.
Please contact us today for a No Obligation Quote:
Chester 01244 953100 We look forward to hearing from you.